We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
What is your personal information?
identifies you, or you are reasonably identifiable from it, the information will be considered personal information.
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- telephone number;
- facsimile number;
- age or birth date;
- profession, occupation or job title;
- details of the products and services you have purchased from us or which you have enquired about, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
- information you provide to us through our service teams, customer surveys or visits by our representatives from time to time.
From time to time, we may collect general, non-personal, statistical information about the use of our websites, such as how many visitors visit a specific page on the website, how long they stay on that page and which hyperlinks, if any, they “click” on. We collect this information through the use of “cookies” and other tracking technologies, which are discussed in greater detail below. We collect this information in order to determine which areas of the website are most popular and to enhance the website for visitors. We may group this information into aggregate visitor data in order to describe the use of the website to our existing or potential business partners, sponsors, advertisers, or other third parties, or in response to a government request. However, please be assured that this aggregate data will in no way personally identify you or any other visitors to the website.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- through your access and use of our websites;
- through your access and use of our mobile apps;
- during conversations between you and our representatives; or
- when you complete an application or order form.
We may also collect personal information from third parties including:
- from third party companies such as credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- form our network of partners, resellers and affiliates.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- we may not be able to provide the requested products or services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- we may not be able to provide you with information about products and services that you may want, including information about discounts, sales or special promotions; or
- we may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can perform our business activities and functions and to provide best possible quality of customer service. We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- to answer enquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services;
- to provide you with access to protected areas of our websites;
- to assess the performance of our websites and to improve the operation of our websites;
- to conduct business processing functions including providing personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors, service providers or other third parties;
- for the administrative, marketing (including direct marketing), planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of ReachLocal, its related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to provide your updated personal information to our related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers;
- to update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- to process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country (or political sub-division of a country).
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to our employees and related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our websites or our business (including marketing), fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, publisher networks, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants.
We may disclose your personal information to any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that these third-party service providers are obligated to protect personal information on our behalf. ReachLocal will not sell or share your personal information with any unaffiliated third parties for marketing purposes. In the event that ReachLocal or all of its assets are acquired, it is very likely that customer information (including personal information) would be one of the transferred assets.
We reserve the right to disclose personal information in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. We also reserve the right to disclose personal information when we believe in good faith that the law requires it.
We may combine or share any information that we collect from you with information collected by any of our related bodies corporate.
Direct marketing materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us via email at email@example.com or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us (see the details below). Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We may charge you a fee to cover our administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you and, if so, the fees will be $50.00. We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal. If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide details of the incident so that we can investigate it. Our Privacy Officer (currently our legal counsel) will investigate and deal with alleged privacy breaches that have been notified to us.
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australia?
We may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate and third party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to entities located outside of Australia, including the following:
- our related bodies corporate, located in the countries identified in our website www.reachlocal.com.au;
- our data hosting and other IT service providers located in the United States of America, India and Singapore; and
- other third parties located in New Zealand, Japan, the United States of America, and Singapore.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data. We restrict access to personal information to ReachLocal employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
As our websites are linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you transmit to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
If you create an account on one of our websites, you will be asked to choose a password for your account, in which case your online account information shall be protected by your password. We recommend that you do not disclose your password to any other person. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account. If you have registered for an account, you may view and update your account information at any time by logging into your account.
We will treat your requests or complaints confidentially. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved. We will aim to ensure that your complaint is resolved in timely and appropriate manner. Please contact our Privacy Officer at:
ReachLocal Australia Pty Ltd
Post: Level 20, 141 Walker Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060
Tel: 1300 655 312